How To Apply for SSI
- To start your application, go to our Apply for Benefits page, and read and agree to the Terms of Service. Click “Next.”
- On that page, review the “Getting Ready” section to make sure you have the information you need to apply.
- Gather the information and documents you need to apply. The Adult Disability Checklist provides the information you need to complete the application.
- Select “Start A New Application.”
- We will ask a few questions about who is filling out the application.
- You will then sign in to your my Social Security account, or you will be prompted to create one.
- Complete the application.
Signing the Online Application
You will have a chance to review your answers and make changes, if needed. Once you’ve filled everything out, we will ask you to confirm that your answers are true to the best of your knowledge.
The last step is to sign the online application by agreeing to the signature terms and then clicking “Submit Now.” You can check the status of your submitted application using a confirmation number we provide.
If someone else submits the online application on your behalf, one of our representatives will contact you by phone to:
- Verify your intent to file.
- Confirm the information provided.
- Obtain any additional information needed.
- Offer you the opportunity to provide your verbal consent to sign the application.
We will also mail you a paper copy of the Application Summary for your records.
Read more about Helping Someone Apply Online.
Apply By Phone
Call us to make an appointment to file your application at 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-800-325-0778.
Apply With Your Local Office
Call to make an appointment with your local Social Security office.
The Application Process
Once You've Applied
Once you’ve applied, we’ll review it to make sure you meet the basic requirements and contact you if we have any questions. We might request additional documents from you before we can process your application.
We will evaluate your current work activities. Then, we will process your application and forward your case to the Disability Determination Services office in your state. This state agency completes the disability determination for us.
Look For Our Response
You’ll receive a letter in the mail with our decision.
Check The Status
You can check the status of your SSI application online using your personal my Social Security account. If you are unable to check your status online, call us 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday to check the status of the application.
Appeal A Decision
You have a right to appeal any decision we make about whether you’re entitled to payments. You must request an appeal in writing within 60 days of receiving our decision.
To learn more, visit Appeal A Decision.
Once You Start Receiving SSI
You must inform us of certain changes
You must report the changes listed here, because they may affect your eligibility for SSI and your payment amount.
When Do You Need to Report?
Report all changes that may affect your SSI as soon as possible and no later than 10 days after the end of the month in which the change occurred.
Reporting your income
You can report your income to us in writing, by phone, online, or through our Smartphone app. Visit our SSI Wage Reporting page to learn more.
Manage your SSI information with a my Social Security account
Once you are receiving SSI, your my Social Security account provides personalized tools. You can use my Social Security to: