Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Replace Social Security card

You can request a free replacement card.

You may not need to replace your card if you know your Social Security number. In most cases, a physical card isn't necessary.

Other ways to complete this task

Visit a local office

Fill out the Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) (PDF) and bring it to your local office along with unexpired identification. Documents must be original or have a signature, stamp, or raised seal from the issuing agency. We don't accept photocopies.

For support completing this task

Call us

Available in most U.S. time zones Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., in English, Spanish, and other languages.

Tell the representative you want to request a replacement Social Security card.