Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Update incorrect birthday

Update your birthday if it's wrong on your Social Security record.

If your birthday is wrong on your Social Security record and you need to update it, show us the correct date on an original version or certified copy of one of the following:

  • Your United States birth certificate
  • A passport with 10-year validity
  • A religious record that includes your age and/or birthday, established before your fifth birthday

Other ways to complete this task

Mail us your form and verification documents

Fill out the Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) (PDF) and mail to your local field office along with unexpired identification and original or certified copies of the verification documents above.

For support completing this task

Call us

Available in most U.S. time zones Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. in English and other languages

Tell the representative you want to update your birthday.