Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Change name with Social Security

Change your name on your Social Security record after you legally change it.

Let us know when you change your name for any reason so we can update your record and send you a new Social Security card. Show an original version or certified copy of a marriage document, divorce decree, Certificate of Naturalization, or court order with the change to your name.