Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Change name with Social Security

You’ll make this change by requesting a replacement Social Security card. We’ll mail your free replacement card after we update your record.

Other ways to complete this task

Visit a local office

Fill out the Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) (PDF) and bring it to a local office along with unexpired identification and proof of name change, such as a marriage or divorce document, adoption decree, amended or corrected birth certificate, court order with the name change, or tribal document. Documents must be original or have a signature, stamp, or raised seal from the issuing agency. We don't accept photocopies.

For support completing this task

Call us

Available in most U.S. time zones Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., in English, Spanish, and other languages.

Tell the representative you want to update your name.