Self-employed Business Services Online (BSO) users may use SSNVS only if they provided an Employer Identification Number (EIN) at the time of registration. To apply for an EIN, go to the IRS website.
The information you provide when you register allows SSA to confirm your identity before issuing a User Identification Number (User ID) or to contact you, if necessary. You will be asked to provide the following:
- Type of employer/employee,
- Company EIN,
- Company or business name,
- Company phone number,
- Indication if you are a third-party submitter registering to do business on behalf of another company,
- Name as it appears on your Social Security card,
- Social Security Number (SSN),
- Date of birth,
- Your preferred mailing address,
- Work phone number,
- Fax number (optional)
- E-mail address, and
- Answers to five security questions.
You will also be asked to enter a unique password of your choice.
Your full name, SSN, date of birth, and EIN will be verified against SSA records.
If you have been hired on behalf of an employer, you should provide information about your own company when you register through BSO for SSNVS.
If you have a reason to use BSO but are not a citizen of the United States (and you live outside the United States), leave the U.S. SSN field blank. You will be allowed to continue without providing this information. If you register without providing a United States SSN, additional authentication will be required before you can use BSO services.
When you have the above information ready, follow these steps to register online:
Go to the BSO Welcome web page.
Do not use your browser's Back, Forward, or Refresh buttons while completing the registration form. This could clear the form unintentionally.
- Select the Register button on the BSO Welcome web page. This will open the User Registration Attestation web page, an important user certification statement.
- Select the I Accept button to indicate that you have read and understand the user certification statement and agree to its contents. This will open the Create a Login Account web page.
Provide the requested information. Assistance and tips for completing the
registration form can be found by clicking the Help button.
The SSN and EIN fields cannot be updated. You must re-register to enter new information in these fields.
- Select the I Accept checkbox to reassure that you have read and understand the user certification statement and agree to its contents.
Select the Submit button when you have completed the registration form. BSO
will verify your identity against SSA records and display your User ID.
Make a note of your User ID because you will need it to log in to BSO.
Immediately after registering, you will be able to maintain/update your registration information, request access to BSO services, and contact SSA electronically.
At the time of registration, you must enter a unique password of your choice. Your password must contain a combination of eight (8) letters and numbers (e.g., 9580859A or frog2828). Passwords are NOT case sensitive. No special characters are allowed. Secure your password and do not share it with anyone. Your User ID and password are required to log in to BSO.
Here is a list of password instructions:
- Your password must be eight (8) characters long and must be a combination of letters and numbers.
- There must be at least one letter and at least one number in your password.
- Passwords are NOT case sensitive.
- Do not use special characters.
- You must change your password at least once every 90 days.
It is mandatory to change your password at least once every 90 days. If you login after 90 days, you will be prompted to change your password.
The email address you provided during registration allows SSA to send you a notice when it is time to change your password. In addition, you will receive BSO News, which provides important wage and tax reporting updates.
If You Forget Your Password
If you forget your password, you may request a new one by following these steps:
- On the Log In to BSO web page, enter your User ID. You must provide your User ID to access the Forgot your password link.
- Select the Forgot your password link.
- Answer the three randomly chosen security questions that you had previously answered. Answers are not case sensitive but should match your previous answers.
- Input and confirm your new password. Your password must contain any combination of eight letters and numbers (e.g., 9580859A or frog2828). Special characters are not allowed and passwords are not case sensitive.
- Select the Submit New Password button. This will display a message indicating that your password has been successfully changed. You may now select the Log In button and log in to BSO with your User ID and your newly changed password.
Your password is for your use only and may not be disclosed to anyone else, including other employees. Exercise caution in disclosing your User ID. Your User ID is the equivalent of your electronic signature and is assigned to you personally - not generically to your company. You are responsible for all actions taken using your User ID.
New users may have to complete their online registration by speaking with an Employer Reporting Branch (ERB) representative. After speaking with the ERB your next step would be to select the Complete Your Phone Registration button from the BSO Welcome web page and enter the following information:
- User ID provided by ERB personnel,
- First and Last Name,
- SSN (if applicable),
- Date of Birth,
- EIN, and
- Password (For more information, see "Your BSO Password" section above).
Once your personal and company information has been authenticated against SSA records, you can request access to SSNVS.