By "wage-indexed amounts," we mean amounts that change annually with the the national Average Wage Index. Types of wage-indexed amounts are listed below.
- OASDI contribution and benefit base (taxable maximum)
- Exempt amounts under the retirement earnings test
- Formula for computing the primary insurance amount (the basis for benefits)
- Formula for computing maximum family benefits
- Amount of earnings needed to earn a quarter of coverage (or credit). Quarters of coverage are needed to become insured.
- "Old-law" contribution and benefit base—used to determine earnings needed for a "year of coverage"
- Coverage thresholds for domestic and election workers
- Substantial gainful activity amounts for disabled beneficiaries
- Amount of monthly earnings affecting a trial work period for disabled beneficiaries