Agency Program Information
The Retirement, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (RSDI) program refers to retirement, survivors, and disability benefits paid to workers, their dependants, and survivors. For more detailed information on each of these programs, please visit the following links:
We identify improper payment findings (both overpayments and underpayments) through our stewardship reviews of the nonmedical aspects of Retirement and Survivors Insurance, and Disability Insurance programs on an annual basis.
Between fiscal years (FY) 2012 – 2016:
- We paid approximately $3.5 trillion to retirement and survivors beneficiaries.
- $7.3 billion (0.21%) was estimated to have been overpaid.
- $2.5 billion (0.07%) was estimated to have been underpaid.
- We paid approximately $682.7 billion to disability insurance program beneficiaries.
- $5.8 billion (0.85%) was estimated to have been overpaid.
- $1.1 billion (0.16%) was estimated to have been underpaid.