Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Request to withhold taxes

Submit a request to pay taxes on your Social Security benefit throughout the year instead of paying a large bill at tax time.

You will pay federal income taxes on your benefits if your combined income (50% of your benefit amount plus any other earned income) exceeds $25,000/year filing individually or $32,000/year filing jointly. You can pay the IRS directly or have taxes withheld from your payment.

For support completing this task

Call us

Available in most U.S. time zones Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., in English, Spanish, and other languages.

Tell the representative you want to submit a request to withhold taxes from your Social Security benefit throughout the year.