The Social Security Administration (SSA) is committed to maintaining the accuracy of earnings records used to determine benefit amounts to ensure customers get the benefits they have earned.
Recently, we began mailing informational notifications to businesses and third parties, who submitted wage and tax statements (Form W-2) that contain name and Social Security number (SSN) combinations that do not match our records. There are a number of reasons why reported names and SSNs may not agree with our records. We encourage employers and third party submitters to register for Business Services Online (BSO) to ensure the accuracy of wage reporting.
On this page are resources and free online tools to assist you in viewing and correcting your records.
Beginning in spring 2019, we will notify each employer with at least one W-2 form where the name and SSN do not match our records and that corrections are needed.Sample of the notices
Read instructions on how to register for BSO. An instructional video will be provided soon.
Read instructions on how to input your Activation code in BSO. An instructional video will be provided soon.
Read instructions on how to use our Social Security Number Verification Service.
To learn how to find errors in BSO, read the following instructions:
Instructional videos will be provided soon.
Work with your employee to resolve the error. We have provided a Sample Social Security Number Verification Service (SSNVS) letter to give to employees.
Read instructions on how to fix errors using W-2c. An instructional video will be provided soon.
- How can I verify employees’ Social Security numbers?
- How do I file W-2s, W-2Cs and W-3s for my employees?
- Will I get penalized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for having an incorrect SSN (TIN) on a Form W-2?
- What should I do if my employee’s name and Social Security number do not match Internal Revenue Service records?
- How can my employee change or correct their name on their Social Security number card?
- Does my employee need to do anything to correct their earnings record?
- How does my employee apply for a replacement Social Security number card?